Monday, March 1, 2010

Take a Leap, Land that Job

All of us have been drinking the koolaid that told us that life was relatively simple: go to college, get a job, be happy. Nobody told us that the "get the job" part would be a perpetual whirlwind of heart wrenching decision making, leaps of faith, failure, victories, and maybe a little teenny bit of fulfillment (if you are lucky). Personally, I had it all planned out. For the recent graduates I know you can relate. For the soon-to-be freed students, BEWARE!

Like many of us, I went to a good school and then another good school and got a smart job and starting settling into the to and fro of life as a young professional. I can remember as a teen saying I'd never be a person who worked a job that I hated and that I'd be strong enough to always follow my dreams. The truth is that a chick's got bills, and as time continues to teach me, adulthood is less and less the cake walk of freedom and goodies I expected. So I settled into a job that I quickly realized didn't fulfill me and tried my best to be a good employee. The fact is that at some point we all have to make the tough choices that often accompany following your heart. The thought is actually quite interesting in and of itself. To follow your heart you must relinquish some sense of security. To follow, one definition states, is the act of accepting the guidance, command, or the leadership of someone or something, such as the heart. So I decided to do just that, and quickly realized that when God is leading you in a certain direction doors unimagined will open up (I got a praise somebody). Here are some helpful hints if you are contemplating a career move:

1. Make a list of all the things you want in your new position. Having clarity will help u better channel your energy and attention towards an opportunity that really meet your needs. Once u know what those needs are you are much more equipped to have them met.

2. Leave no rock unturned. Explore the many possibilities of your new or future industry. Have some investigational interviews with successful people in your field, preferably someone older who can give a better perspective on the many facets of your industry. As some of you may not know- there is so much more to education than teaching and even more to Finance than Wall Street. Do your homework

3. Take a chance. Sometimes we aren't so sure we know what we have wished for, when it appears to us and the possibilities of venturing into the unknown can be all too much. Remember that, this is what u wanted- so when the opportunity arises be open to the possibilities. Get poised on that old lily pad of yesteryear and take a bold leap into your future. With preparation and faith, you will not regret it.

1 comment: