Monday, March 22, 2010

Finding a little Inspiration

The older I get (eek!), the more I have come to realise that with every door that is closed, another will be opened. We all have to go through dark places, do some things we thought we wouldn't, and make some tough decisions that all work toward our greater progress. When I decided 2010 was all about following my heart, I guess I didn't know that that would mean making a lot of hard choices. I kind of envisioned it as an adoption of a more "go with the flow" attitude that would lead me closer to realising my hearts desires. Instead, I have come to realize that  following my heart has been one of the HARDEST things Ive ever done. Ive kissed a lot of frogs, both professional and personal- but I now know that this comes with the territory.

I stay inspired by talking with mentors and family and through my faith. Even more, my peers keep showing up and showing out in this world, symbolizing to me that my dreams can too come true with a little elbow grease and prayer.

Since graduating from college, I feel so thankful to be amongst the ranks of some incredible young people, many of which are HBCU alumni, who are following their dreams and changing the world. This post salutes you, for having the audacity to believe in yourselves and inturn giving me the strength to believe as well.

So to the awesome people I call my friends: thank you for waking up this morning and doing what you love, teaching in urban schools, stepping out on faith and starting your own business, being alternative images of success to young black men, showing me what it really means to be on the grind, loving yourselves, speaking truth to power, and especially for inspiring me to be a better person, friend, and citizen.

If you are out searching for a little inspiration, I suggest investigating first the incredible company you may keep. I am SO excited about my future and even all of the frogs I will have to kiss to get there, but it all feels manageable because of the group of people I know are on the journey with me- whether they know it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment