Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hop on this: The Walk

Its been raining a lot in california. So much so that I'm starting to think its about time to build that ark just in case we really are living in our last days. Now, I am making a gross assumption that a majority of you reading this are black, black women specifically- so I won't go into the back story of what this means for us. All those not of color- if u aren't familiar, don't go ask a back person- just google black women hair AND water, and see what comes up. (side note: google is like the best kept well known secret- anything you need to know is just a mouse click away, and Google will never punch you in the face for being ignorant) But I digress.

Dealing with the rain and all things water has been like an ongoing battle for me since I got my very first press in kindergarten. For some this was a taste of the creaming crack. The breakthrough moment that let you know you and water were no longer friends. Whatever torture you went through to get your very own dark and lovely, I am sure the sentiment was all the same. Stay away from the wet. I never learned to swim. I never put my head under the shower to let the water run down my face. Even when washing my hair there was something strange about the potential of full submersion. Why? Because from a  young age it was  CRYSTAL clear, that after my grandma spent $40 to get my 5 year old head worth of hair greased, shined, and twirled to perfection- water above the neck without the proper controls was to be avoided like the plague. Understanding this fact reiterates the absurdity of what I am about to tell you next.

I walked in the rain. I repeat, I WALKED in the RAIN. No hat, hood, scarf, or grocery bag. Just straight up, the revolution will not be televised, I am not my hair, walked in the rain. Honestly it was one of the most freeing things I've ever done. Like, walking naked in the middle of downtown Dallas (thank u Erykah) freeing. Like, Im about to start talking loud and throwing, stuff becuase I got a new job, WHO GONE CHECK ME BOO!?!? freeing. Like, cue "A Whole New World" sung by Peabo Bryson and Regina Belle background music, freeing. As the droplets penetrated my scalp, I didnt duck for cover as if bullets were flying. No, I felt the soft pellets drip onto my face and hair and walked with my head held high. I smiled at the good people who have always felt such freedom- in their flipflops and anoraks. I lifted my head to the sky and relished in the moment of ecstacy as my already curly hair began to take greater shape. Yep, thats right- Im not going to play you and I definitely do not mean to misled you- I was in no way letting a good press go to shame. I'm not CRAZY. That's just blasphemous. I've been wearing my hair in its naturally nappy curly state for about 2 months now now, so I've taken some liberties in terms of encouraging you to tap into your wild side. But all jokes aside. You really have to try it.

One day when you can go straight home and wash that bird's nest out,  hit it with some flat two strand twists, or on your way to she Laticia your Beuatician- take a walk in the rain and let your soul glow. Whatever your hairstory, at some point in your life you have to take "the walk". I promise you-  it will change your life.
 
Hop on this and share your thoughts below.

No comments:

Post a Comment