Tuesday, April 13, 2010

5 Things I Did Because I liked a Boy

If you say you've never changed even a little bit for a guy or girl you liked, you are a bonafide liar. Its apart of being in relationship with other people. We are dynamic and so we change. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. Im not talking about totally changing your moral compass for a stranger, but I am sure we have all made some adjustments that we may have never thought we'd do. I was thinking the other day about being in a relationship, and how after you've been in it for so long, things become so commonplace. I also thought about the person I have become since being 'attached' versus single. Once you've been with someone for awhile and habits begin to form, its often hard to distinguish where you end and the other person begins. Most of my personality changes and dispositions have come as a result of age but some choices have definitely been from direct exposure to certain individuals along the line who have left their mark on my psyche. 

1.  I got saved.
Now me and the Lord have be rocking for awhile, so I dont mean saved in the literal sense. By saved, I mean to say, I tried to be a goodie-two-shoes-trophy-wife-dream-girl-figment-of-some-delusional-soul's-vivid-imagination-project. I stopped laughing unnecessarily loud in public places. Tamed down the neon colors and exchanged them for some pearls. Tried not to curse and made up stories about how I would NEVER do this or that becuase it was "just bad manners." Now in no way am I saying I should have been running around like a wild banchie. It was deinfitely time to evolve,  but because my display was so ingeniune and predicated by another's vision for myself instead of my own- it was totally for naught. I tried to "grow up' into a person who doesnt even exist to suit another's taste's, instead of evolving to suit my own. In reality, I still have some giggles left in me, and at that point in my life it was not at all appropriate for me to hang up my fun face for an apron.

2. I started drinking gatorade.
My boyfriend grew up in a sports family. He and his brothers played basketball, football, ran track or a combination of the two at some point. His mom always kept the house stocked with zoo-zoo's and whamwham's and their pantry was like a 14 year-old growing boy's dream (still sort of is). There is always plenty to drink in that house, especially, thats right,  Gatorade. When I met my boyfriend, I was a water and soda girl. Couldn't stand flavored water because I found it totally repulsing. No seriously, I thought it was gross. Gatorade, Powerade, any -ade, you could count me out. But when I visited his dorm and eventually his apartment- there was almost always one thing to drink: GATORADE. So I drink gatorade now. As a matter of fact, I love it.  Im a traitor. My refridgerator has a constant yellow lemon-lime glow. And funny as it sounds, he only drinks water now.

3. I started getting pedicures...regularly.
Im not saying my feet were a travesty before I started dating seriously, but I could definitely stretch a pedicure. As far as I was concerned, until it just looked totally out of pocket- and definitely during the winter months- I would take my time getting to Queen Nails. But once I had someone seeing them and regularly, I began to change my tune. There is nothing better than a fresh pedicure, boyfriend or not. Its just something I've come to value for myself. But have no fear if you're currently pinching pennies. When I dont have the extra cash to drop at the Beautiful Nail (just one), I keep a full pedicure kit at home and have a mean homemade french tip hookup. Among other things, there are plenty of aesthetic devises we think about more when we are in relationships, but I beg of you- do not let the pedicure be one of them. Your feet need to be tight for you, girl. It helps you keep from ripping holes in your socks too.

4. I got unsaved
When I was younger, I dated an older guy who didnt go to school, didnt have a diploma, didnt have a job, lived with his Mama, and I thought he was the baddest thing out. I swear, you could not tell me he wasnt the bomb. While I dated him, I found myself dumbing myself down to make sure I didnt make him uncomfortable. I hid my accomplishments and avoided large words so as not to confuse his poor soul. I even briefly dated a RIDICULOUSLY FINE HOTPIECE OF MAN good looking guy while in undergrad (who was also in college as well mind you) who was literally dumb as a bag of rocks. Im not talking about limited vocabulary; That can get a bit of a pass. Im talking, "what are you saying, that sentence just made no sense I hope you dont write the same way you speak" dumb. Never again. I just dont care how cute you are. I cannot get unsaved for you.  I know big words and I like to use them. Thats what I spent over $200,000 on these degrees for. If you dont understand the words that are coming out of my mouth, just shut up and nod.

5. I let him go
Sometimes its not you, its me. No seriously, I really mean it. Every person we meet serves a particular purpose in our lives and the treasure in getting to know them is finding out exactly what that is. Holly G. and I have liked a few guys over the years, but the best thing we have done when we liked someone is let them go when they were just no good for us. Its probably the hardest thing to do, but sometimes we just have to do our best and save the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment