Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Everybody get your roll on

It is officially time. I've traded in my lily pad bus and train pass for a set of new wheels and I am beyond excited. Yep that's her above. The new love of my life. In beautiful Spelman Glacier Blue. And she's just quite magnificent.

Making my first big purchase has been an incredible journey. Delayed gratification has paid off big time. While I know that this endeavour is not an asset in the traditional sense of the word (this item does NOT appreciate in value), it signifies for me the first time in my adult life when I truly feel free. So that's an ASSET for me indeed! I mean, being mobile has literally given me the attitude check I need. I feel now that I can go out and literally conquer the world- and my baby SUV is going to give me the security I need to make that all happen. In celebration of this new found freedom, I am embarking on a monster of a road trip with 2 great friends to totally seal the deal.

However, the journey to finding the perfect wheelie companion has been quite a rocky one. First, it was just deciding on what to buy. Then, it was finding the right dealer. Between ARP's, MSRP's, EX's, LX's, and all the other automotive acronyms, I was literally DRIVEN to tears on more than one occasion. The most difficult part, hands down was financing. I wont get into the details of my personal melodrama, but I will say, people, TAKE CARE OF YOUR CREDIT! Like, you have no clue how much those little plastic cards can damage your life. Oh yea, its ALL good your freshman year when you get that first piece of magic cash. You're tearing down Victoria's Secret and Bloomingdales. But then you get older, and try and make a large purchase, like oh, i don't know, A CAR- and the dealer and financier looks at you like you MUST be crazy if you think they are going to get a loan. Maybe some of you aren't familiar with this situation, but for those who do, here are a few steps for repairing your credit so that you can get rolling whenever you are ready.

A friend who has successfully turned around an ailing credit score gave these 3 points:
  • Don't be afraid to settle debt. After you do you can pay a credit repair agency  to help you get things cleared up.
  • When that is complete, get on someone else's credit card as an authorized buyer who pays on time and makes regular payments. Make sure this person has more available credit than the balance already used. Their good habits can help you slowly increase your score.
  • LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES! Once you get that score up, and creditors begin to trust you again- don't make the same stupid decisions. Only buy what you can afford to pay off immediately. Your cards should be for earning rewards not living outside or your means.
*Disclaimer: I am in no way authorized to give you any sound financial advice, but it has worked for some and I figured why not share the wealth. If you are in serious debt please consult a trusted professional!

Though I haven't totally kicked the habit of kissing the Frog of bad financial choices, (see, Single Black Female, Addicted to Retail ) I am so happy to have had the resources to fund this particular endeavour! So, that's my PSA for the month. I just wanted to share my victory with the kfdiaries community. My life is so full of possibility right now, and I finally have the right set of wheels to take me on the journey. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I think the Honda CRV is sooo cute!! =) Thanks for the quick tips, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Honda died :( So I have to begin this journey soon too...glad you did it first!

    ReplyDelete